This diwali was marked by two massive releases in Shah Rukh's Khan's Happy New Year and Ilayathalapathy's Kaththi. SRK's Happy New Year is moving towards a gross of ₹355 crore while Kaththi is inching towards grossing ₹110 crores worldwide.
Now on first look a gross of ₹355 crore may mean Happy New Year has outperformed Kaththi but the actual truth is that Kaththi is a bigger hit than Happy New Year at the box office. Here are some reasons why
- Bollywood's reach spreads to US, UK, Australia, France and even African countries. Even with such a global reach Happy New Year is struggling to reach ₹200 crore in India while it has overall made close to 355 crores.
- Apart from South Indian states, Tamil films perform only in Malaysia, Singapore, UK and US meaning Bollywood movie gets 45% of collection from overseas but Kollywood it constitutes just 25%.
- with Dhoom 3 setting the standard for Bollywood markets, grossing ₹355+ crore in India alone.Happy New Year is far lesser than the Bollywood standards. Whereas, in the history of Kollywood, only four movies have crossed ₹100 crore mark and Kaththi is one among them.
- For Kollywood, Superstar's Enthiran remains the highest grossing movie with ₹150+ crore for the Tamil version and the success of Kaththi is no less than a big achievement.
- Huge Promotions - SRK's Happy New Year was promoted in every nook and corner of India and the world. But Kaththi had very low-key promotions.Apart from few press meets nothing was else was done for Kaththi.
*Source - International Business Times